lara recent comments

written 18 hours ago
cherry

Good title and pitch. I liked the deviousness of the sniper and how this contrasts with p.o Jess. Backed
ROSALIND MINETT

written 2 days ago
cherry

A very exciting novel, although only the first section is uploaded here. I would lose the first part of the Prologue and start at *It was Time* - just giving the date beforehand. It was time is a telling opening line, so I would have it up front, especially as it may well sum up the theme of the novel. I liked the switch to modern day, and the later action and sinister dealings in the Vatican. Bold! TheRe is some strong characterisation, so important in my eyes. Backed.
ROSALIND MINETT

written 3 days ago

Hello Rosalind.

Book--A Relative Invasion-

This is one book that grabbed my attention right from the forward -
That forward so well told or should explained was just the perfect intro to this great book-
I was not aware of the 1919 treaty and how it effected the Germans and the resulting aftermath of mayhem-

Again I was hooked by the diary like intros to each chapter- well the first four or five- those few lines
enhanced the chapter to follow- pity you did not do the same for the following chapters-

The pre-war dialogue from all the characters is just brilliant and certainly enhances the story line-
War war war - the happenings of the days that were- gas masks - air raid shelters and lots more
certainly creates very well the time and place - yes it's a page turner you have here-

Have to say I really enjoyed reading the pages posted -

Six stars and fully deserved-

Tom Bye - book - From hugs to Kisses-
now available on Amazon in paperback and kindle
A story of life as a child perceived during the war years in 40s Dublin and the fear he had of a German invasion-

Thanks v much, Tom. Many have wanted me to ditch the foreword. But glad to say I HAVE now added the headlines for every chapter. Your ranking has helped my rating, many thanks again. view book

written 7 days ago
cherry

I like the slow build up This, and lyrical tone suit the movement of the sea and life in St Ives. Good characterisation The drama builds slowly - some may balk at this, but not me. I've backed this book, well written and conceived.

written 15 days ago
cherry

A GOOD PREMISE and well worked out. Not much uploaded but I can see the potential for an explosive novel. It's in the realm of Kasuo Ishikuro, Never Let Me Go. Well worth backing even if the whole book is not yet finished.

written 15 days ago
cherry

I read this earlier, and now it's near the desk, another backing

Something really different that deserves professional attention.

written 17 days ago
cherry

i enjoyed this drama. Plenty of good detail to make the whole convincing and some excellent writing. Above all, the plot is well planned.

written 25 days ago
cherry

I sampled chapters up to 19. Plenty of tough stuff and gentler moments too. You keep well inside the perception of your MC and you've been wise to keep to short sentences with lots of dialogue. I think you have it right for the youth market, well done and backed.

written 29 days ago
cherry

There's not a lot of this novel posted yet, but it is a very good start. I like the detail about appearances, the jeans, for instance, in Ch 1 and the trench coat brushing the debris in 2. the tension and page turner at the end of the first ch augur well for capturing the reader. I can see this is going to be a tough read, but not just for the sake of shock. There are some original ideas here and the possibility of a past coming back to hit you in the eyes via your computer is right on the ball for today's market.

written 29 days ago
cherry

Traditional folk tales. I am all for them. As a child of 6 - 9 I adored such tales and I hope that today's children may still do so. I back this in the hope of that event.
POLAND is a country with creative people.

written 31 days ago
cherry

I read a little more. I like the way each chapter, although with a different subject and changing locations, starts straight into the action. Some good similes, also. Good, exciting stuff and well in tune with its genre.

written 31 days ago
cherry

Very strong writing. I don't need to say more, there are lots of reviews here. However, identification with a well drawn character caused me to read on. Super. Backed

written 34 days ago
cherry

First two chapters well written. I can see this excerpt is properly prepared. Hope to return to read more. By then, I am sure this book will have risen up the ranks. It certainly deserves to.

written 35 days ago
cherry

A Cinderella story. You portray the miseries of her life very fully, and add to the crimes of the awful step-mother. I was surprised how calm they both were, in contrast to the boys, when the 6 monstrous beings arrive. Is this quite credible?

However, as a whole, I am sure this novel will be lapped up by girls of about nine.

Good writing

written 38 days ago
cherry

I like many of the ideas in this novel. I read as a psychologist and also a musician's mother, so I can appreciate the intent and associations laid down. For me, the concepts are strong but the delivery is less so. It is good to have an unworldliness in the tone but much of it comes across as stilted. With another edit through, I'm sure this could be tweaked so that the lovely elements show to their best advantage.

written 43 days ago
cherry

Reading on, the detail of the imprisonment, the daily conditions, it all appears very convincing. I'm sure there's a lot of worth in this novel which reads like a memoir. However, I would tweak the very beginning and re-think its start.

High stars. I liked the 'tramline face'. a good read view book

written 50 days ago
cherry

YARG review. Good book with nice hooks and page turning chapter ends. I enjoyed the pace of this and your style of writing. The characters are well drawn with good names. There is no talking down to the reader as the plot unwinds, nor have you over-egged the vampire/witch stuff so it all becomes believable.

Crit: - there is some telling that you could tweak into showing. e.g. during the telephone call in Ch 10.(The words rushed out of him; he added, ilghtheartedly; , he flirted.) Also beware of adverbs. 'I frantically leaped out of bed'

written 52 days ago
cherry

Such an interesting insight into characters caught up in that terrible event. Not a lot uploaded, but v gd so far. Backed.

written 52 days ago
cherry

Backed. Boost for a well written book, that I trawled into some weeks ago. Rising up, well done. ps I still don't think a child would refer to herself as 'My little arm' - that's adult talk. Just saying . ..
A RELATIVE INVASION
SPEECHLESS view book

written 56 days ago
cherry

This is original, well written and has a good plot. I haven't read as far as I'd like, but far enough to back it