All forums > On Writing > Holocaust Fiction. Too soon?
page 1 of 8

Holocaust Fiction. Too soon?

kelliewallace23

first registered 03.08.09

last online 5 days ago

I have been head down writing my next historical fiction based during WW2 Germany, and the Holocaust. Now my problem lies heavily in the 'third' character of the story - the holocaust. It revolves around a Waffen SS soldier trying to break free his Jewish love in Auschwitz. I stopped writing it because I am afraid not only could be highly controversial and i don't not want to look anti-semantic. I have written it unbiased. My concerns lie in the topic, the sellablilty and the possibility of getting press.
Do you think Holocaust fictions sell?

Posted: 17/07/2012 04:58:34

report abuse

PenInHand

first registered 23.12.10

last online 9 days ago

I'd read it. Yes, it sells; millions of fiction novels for readers of all ages are set during that time period. I actually went on a real Holocaust reading kick back in early high school and can tell you that there is as much historical fiction set in that period as in any other. That being said, there are still survivors alive today. There are people who actually went through it. So do your research, and don't sensationalize.

But tell me when you get that story posted, because I'd read it in a heartbeat.

Posted: 17/07/2012 05:05:54

report abuse

EllieMcG

first registered 21.03.12

last online 10 days ago

I have been head down writing my next historical fiction based during WW2 Germany, and the Holocaust. Now my problem lies heavily in the 'third' character of the story - the holocaust. It revolves around a Waffen SS soldier trying to break free his Jewish love in Auschwitz. I stopped writing it because I am afraid not only could be highly controversial and i don't not want to look anti-semantic. I have written it unbiased. My concerns lie in the topic, the sellablilty and the possibility of getting press.
Do you think Holocaust fictions sell? <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

I think it already sells. I've read lots of Holocaust fiction. It's probably not that controversial, and it's probably already been done (not in a "don't write it way," but in a "it's not too soon" way).

Posted: 17/07/2012 05:06:07

report abuse

kelliewallace23

first registered 03.08.09

last online 5 days ago

Thanks girls. PenInhand, ill get it up soon Smile

Posted: 17/07/2012 05:13:13

report abuse

Dantes

retired user

Can you be anything but bias about the holocaust? No much scope for debate really (the Nazi'z were the bad guys!) As for whether it sells. Good grief, what a question. Yes it sells, depressingly enough (guess people love a bit of genocide tourism to spice up their lives).

Posted: 17/07/2012 05:22:59

report abuse

John Bayliss

first registered 27.09.11

last online online

There was an Italian film called "Life is Beautiful" that was a comedy set in a concentration camp. It won several Oscars.

Posted: 17/07/2012 08:26:21

report abuse

Roy Batty

retired user

Watch The Night Porter. My immediate question would be why would a Waffen SS officer try to break his Jewish lover out of Auschwitz? I already find it unbelievable. You are trying to fit the normal into a place where any consideration for humanity has long gone. An artist's conceit I think.

Posted: 17/07/2012 08:59:50
Last Edit: 17/07/2012 09:03:47 by Roy Batty

report abuse

Zyg

retired user

I wouldn't want to look anti-semantic either. Meaning means everything to me.

Posted: 17/07/2012 10:14:14

report abuse

AdeleVBW

first registered 12.06.12

last online 313 days ago

I wouldn't want to look anti-semantic either. Meaning means everything to me. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Ah, dammit. That was going to be my gag.

I'm a bit peturbed by the idea of an unbiased approach to the holocaust. I mean, I'm not Jewish, or a Nazi, but I'm pretty clear where my sympathies lie.

Posted: 17/07/2012 10:52:44

report abuse

Tantalus

retired user

Ah, dammit. That was going to be my gag.

I'm a bit peturbed by the idea of an unbiased approach to the holocaust. I mean, I'm not Jewish, or a Nazi, but I'm pretty clear where my sympathies lie. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Well go on then... Don't leave us hanging.

Posted: 17/07/2012 10:55:20

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 1 of 8