All forums > On Writing > Holocaust Fiction. Too soon?
page 2 of 8

Holocaust Fiction. Too soon?

ceejezoid

first registered 10.04.12

last online 30 mins ago

Who said La Vita e Bella?! Briliant film!

And The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

I wouldn't worry about being unbiased. As long as you make it look like the Nazi's are bad guys, you should be ok....

Posted: 17/07/2012 10:59:43

report abuse

Tantalus

retired user

I wouldn't want to look anti-semantic either. Meaning means everything to me. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Smile

OK, but "i don't not want to look anti-semantic" is even more of a head scratcher.

Posted: 17/07/2012 11:00:09

report abuse

AdeleVBW

first registered 12.06.12

last online 306 days ago

Well go on then... Don't leave us hanging. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Hmmm... I sense a spamming opportunity: "Back my book and I'll tell you whether or not I think the holocaust was A Bad Thing."

Do you think people'll go for that?

Posted: 17/07/2012 11:13:18

report abuse

dave farrington

first registered 22.05.12

last online 185 days ago

'The Commandant wept as he let go of the dying Jewess's hand. Despite the best efforts of the SS doctors, and the guards who had volunteered to work overtime tending the ill, so many of the poor inmates at Auschwitz were succumbing to the typhus from which their caregivers had tried to protect them....He trembled with rage as he thought of how he and his men had gone without food so that the ailing prisoners could eat, and how they had been demonized for it....Someday, he thought, someday their sacrifices would be known.'

Above spoof from 'How Not to Write a Novel' by Newman and Mittelmark. I'm not suggesting you had anything like this in mind but it sounds a useful cautionary note.

Regards
Dave F

Posted: 17/07/2012 11:30:29

report abuse

kelliewallace23

first registered 03.08.09

last online 7 days ago

I'm not looking for backers. It's still in concept stage. I know the nazis were the bad guys and history proves that. I just don't want people to think otherwise. My book will contain historical facts and people will die. I would want to be careful is all.

Posted: 17/07/2012 11:47:42

report abuse

Tantalus

retired user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VImnpErdDzA&feature=related

... Are we the baddies?

Posted: 17/07/2012 11:51:02

report abuse

kelliewallace23

last online 7 days ago

Watch The Night Porter. My immediate question would be why would a Waffen SS officer try to break his Jewish lover out of Auschwitz? I already find it unbelievable. You are trying to fit the normal into a place where any consideration for humanity has long gone. An artist's conceit I think. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

So you think it's not possible? I read research that many people successfully and unsuccessfully escaped the camp. I know it looks far fetched but I was hoping I could throw some fiction in there Smile

Posted: 17/07/2012 11:54:08

report abuse

ceejezoid

last online 30 mins ago

I'm not looking for backers. It's still in concept stage. I know the nazis were the bad guys and history proves that. I just don't want people to think otherwise. My book will contain historical facts and people will die. I would want to be careful is all.
<nolink>close quotes</nolink>

I think most intelligent readers would be able to seperate the individual from the group. Having one sympathetic Nazi character would not take away from the overall horrors the party participated in. I'm sure not every Nazi was particularly enamoured with the direction they took as a whole.

Watch Paul Veerhoven's Black Book. Its about a Dutch Jewish woman who infiltrates the Gestapo headquarters to get revenge for what the Nazis did to her family, but along the way she ends up having a relationship with one of the officers. Its really good, but didn't make me come away thinking "bloody hell, that Veerhoven thinks the Nazis were wonderful"!

Even in The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, you view the father as a father figure first, because thats how the boy sees him. Its only later that you start really thinking about what he does for a living.

Posted: 17/07/2012 12:28:03

report abuse

kelliewallace23

last online 7 days ago

I think most intelligent readers would be able to seperate the individual from the group. Having one sympathetic Nazi character would not take away from the overall horrors the party participated in. I'm sure not every Nazi was particularly enamoured with the direction they took as a whole.

Watch Paul Veerhoven's Black Book. Its about a Dutch Jewish woman who infiltrates the Gestapo headquarters to get revenge for what the Nazis did to her family, but along the way she ends up having a relationship with one of the officers. Its really good, but didn't make me come away thinking "bloody hell, that Veerhoven thinks the Nazis were wonderful"!

Even in The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas, you view the father as a father figure first, because thats how the boy sees him. Its only later that you start really thinking about what he does for a living. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Thank you Smile I will take a look.

Posted: 17/07/2012 12:32:50

report abuse

ceejezoid

last online 30 mins ago

Thank you Smile I will take a look. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

For what its worth, I like your idea. I'd probably pick something like that up in the bookshop!

Posted: 17/07/2012 12:35:30

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 2 of 8