All forums > Discuss authonomy > Do you pander or are you honest?
page 1 of 7

Do you pander or are you honest?

Lynn Demarest

first registered 11.07.12

last online 549 days ago

Your mother told you "honesty is the best policy," but she didn't know about authonomy, did she?

As far as I can see, the goals of authonomy are:

1. Create a virtual slush pile in which the authors themselves will do the work that makes the publishable cream rise to the top.
2. Help writers become better writers

The best way to help another writer is to be honest. But honesty carries a penalty if you're looking for others to bless your book so that it can rise in the rankings. That's why you see so many comments like, "I LOVED YOUR BOOK!!!! Now can you please back mine?"

Which path have you chosen? Why?

Posted: 19/07/2012 04:39:22

report abuse

Helianthus

first registered 02.01.11

last online 52 mins ago

I read a lot of books here. If I don't read it all, I don't comment. I don't comment if I read it all but I hate it. I send constructive messages privately if I have something to suggest - and these are generally limited to straightforward spelling, punctuation, or usage errors.

There's plenty to love around here, so I find no problem with commenting honestly that I've loved something on a pretty regular basis.

As to why, well. I don't feel qualified to criticize someone's work, in the first place. What the hell do I know? Secondly, I don't have the heart to hurt people's feelings. I'm way too sensitive myself; I have a panic attack every time I get a comment. I can't imagine embarrassing someone on purpose.

I'm not doing the loveditsixstarswatchedplzbackme thing, though. I'm honest - but I'm nice about it. Not pandering.

Posted: 19/07/2012 05:03:47
Last Edit: 19/07/2012 05:06:25 by Helianthus

report abuse

bektamun

first registered 03.07.12

last online 633 days ago

Honesty all the way. I'm very picky about what I'll read. Saying you love it just for the sake of getting a read or maybe a rating is not worth it IMHO.

Posted: 19/07/2012 05:35:23

report abuse

Groaner

first registered 25.01.10

last online 7 hours ago

Your mother told you "honesty is the best policy," but she didn't know about authonomy, did she?

As far as I can see, the goals of authonomy are:

1. Create a virtual slush pile in which the authors themselves will do the work that makes the publishable cream rise to the top.
2. Help writers become better writers

The best way to help another writer is to be honest. But honesty carries a penalty if you're looking for others to bless your book so that it can rise in the rankings. That's why you see so many comments like, "I LOVED YOUR BOOK!!!! Now can you please back mine?"

Which path have you chosen? Why? <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

I chose complete honesty over pandering.

(after I got to the desk). Wink

Posted: 19/07/2012 05:37:05

report abuse

R.J. Blain

retired user

Honesty. I have a thread dedicated to people who want it... hoping to get a bunch of critiques done in the next few days, but its getting to be travel season for me... /sigh

Posted: 19/07/2012 05:54:57

report abuse

AdeleVBW

first registered 12.06.12

last online 309 days ago

I'm fairly new to this. I bear in mind that 'honesty' is still just my opinion. After accepting everything at first, I now refuse read swaps if I don't think I'll like the book.

When I do read and comment - if I don't think the book really works, or if I think it needs a lot more work, I raise some issues (often structural/logical) that I think need addressing, but I also look for the positives and tell them what I think works well.

If I think the book's really good they get a lot more nitpicks so, apart from the bit where I say 'I really enjoyed this' (or whatever), the review probably looks more negative.

The lowest star rating I have given is four stars. If I think it's worth three or less I don't rate it. I don't see how that's helpful.

I always bear in mind that I might just be the wrong reader.

Posted: 19/07/2012 07:27:37

report abuse

Glenn Muller

first registered 01.05.12

last online 29 days ago

I am honest but I use the hamburger method:

Bun - This piece starts off with plenty of tension

Meat - I find it hard to know who is speaking. Perhaps break up the dialogue with some narration

Bun - the stalled motor is great way to end the chapter

Posted: 19/07/2012 15:01:01

report abuse

Jenny-B

first registered 19.06.10

last online 4 days ago

Honest - but letting the writer know it's only my opinion - I'm not an agent or editor, just a reader/writer. And not everyone can possibly like everything.

Posted: 19/07/2012 15:05:20

report abuse

Eric Laing

retired user

As in the rest of life, there is nothing offered here that is worthy of taking the low road.

Why people kick and kill over the ED is beyond me. Well, that's not true...not beyond...but troubling.

Posted: 19/07/2012 15:10:44

report abuse

Geoff Thorne

first registered 07.11.08

last online 108 days ago

i write the books i write because i want to write them. i don't care about trends or fads or anyone else's opinion as to what may or may not sell.

i read the books i like because i like them. i don't care what anyone else thinks, from a good friend to a highly respected critic. If i like it, it's gold; if i hate it, it's dead. for me.

i back the books i back because i feel i would buy them in a shop if they were available (either for myself or as a gift). just as i would in the real world.

i don't swap reads. i don't swap backings. i don't support books based on forum friendship and i don't spike books based on bad behavior in the forums. if the book is good and i think the author's a jerk I will still back it. if the book is crap but the author's a lovely person i will not support their book. the one caveat is, if i determine you are using sock puppets, I will not back your book, regardless of quality. i consider the use of socks to be cheating.

if i back your book, i usually say why. if i don't, for the most part, i don't.

I don't think there's much any individual author here can do to improve the work of another. most of the writers here don't know enough to advise anyone about writing. what little i do know rarely comes up so i keep my free advice to a bare minimum rather than tell someone something stupid or, worse, unhelpful.

when i do give advice it's rock solid but, as i said, that almost never happens.

Posted: 19/07/2012 15:32:49
Last Edit: 19/07/2012 15:35:48 by Geoff Thorne

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 1 of 7