All forums > General Chat > Religion + Politics = Repolitiligonics
page 1 of 25

Religion + Politics = Repolitiligonics

Adam Thurstman

retired user

I thought it might be fun to have a friendly chat about a couple of light hearted topics for a change. Does anyone care sharing any thoughts they may have?

Posted: 19/07/2012 13:40:28

report abuse

colin smith

first registered 19.02.09

last online 7 hours ago

Religion and politics should never be spoken of together

or

religion is what you believe
poliitcs is the art of convincing another to believe

Posted: 19/07/2012 13:43:56
Last Edit: 19/07/2012 13:45:16 by colin smith

report abuse

Adam Thurstman

retired user

Religion and politics should never be spoken of together

or

religion is what you believe
poliitcs is the art of convincing another to believe <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

I think in any free democratic country, one should have the right to speak of both religion and politics together, which in Britain we do, thanks to the brave men and women who have fought and died for this freedom in many wars throughout our history, from Alfred the Great to Sir Winston Churchill, both of whom were Christians BTW.

Posted: 19/07/2012 17:52:14

report abuse

Adam Thurstman

retired user

Well this isn't going as I had expected?

Posted: 21/07/2012 17:01:18
Last Edit: 21/07/2012 17:01:46 by Adam Thurstman

report abuse

Big Daddy

first registered 13.11.09

last online 16 hours ago

Is religion the same as politics or is it simply faith?

Posted: 21/07/2012 17:03:34

report abuse

Adam Thurstman

retired user

Is religion the same as politics or is it simply faith? <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

They are different by definition, but both require faith to some degree.

Posted: 21/07/2012 17:06:34

report abuse

Adam Thurstman

retired user

Here's a religious movement that deserves resurrecting:

http://thedabbler.co.uk/2012/07/muggletonians/

Though I think it's mainly the fact that they held their meetings in taverns that appeals to me. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Hi John

And welcome to the thread, I did respone to you the other day, on the thread about the cookies, but you didn’t get back, no bother, may be you didn’t see it? If so her it is:-

Your comment:

It's because the authonomy website is based in the UK. There was a change in the law recently that required all British web sites that use cookies to record data to inform the end user of the fact. Nothing sinister. (Unless you consider the use of cookies sinister.) I think they're supposed to offer you the option of deleting the cookies, too.

I had a similar message a few days ago when I logged into my bank's website (also in the UK, of course).

My response:

I don’t trust a man whose lips I can’t see move, John Bayliss, why are you hiding your mouth and why are you taking a photo of me. I don’t want to start rumours or anything, (although I might be) but might you be part of the new world order, that’s trying to lull us in to a false sense of security while watch our every move with those cookies?

Mmmm cookies, macadamian nuts, chocolate chip, cuppa tea. Time to put the kettle on....

Ignorance is bliss.

I was only teasing of course, or was I? I only mention it because of the relivence to the threads topic.

But now your here talking about a failed religious movement involving a man who thought God had commissioned him and his cousin as the two witnesses 300 years ago. Interesting, and I must say an amusing account on the link you give. I too can see the appeal, of their practice of holding regular meetings in taverns and at organised picnics. Very attractive. Yet it died out, perhaps if they had had a closer connection to God through Jesus it may have then survived? If you feel you want to act on you notion of resurrecting it, that would be my advice. I for one would certainly visit, for the pub/church/barbeque experience.

We just need the weather.

Posted: 21/07/2012 20:26:48
Last Edit: 21/07/2012 20:30:01 by Adam Thurstman

report abuse

AdeleVBW

first registered 12.06.12

last online 307 days ago

Shouldn't religion+politics = religitics?

Posted: 21/07/2012 20:30:18

report abuse

Dai Lowe

first registered 09.10.08

last online 16 mins ago

For me it's quite straightforward, subscribing as I do the the old anarchist dictum, 'neither god nor master'.

There ain't no god and, as M Proudhon said, "Whoever lays his hand on me to govern me is a usurper and tyrant, and I declare him my enemy."

Posted: 21/07/2012 20:32:56

report abuse

HECROW55

first registered 19.10.10

last online 4 days ago

Is religion the same as politics or is it simply faith? <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

I would say that religion is political in nature, but faith is not.
I practice faith, not religion.

Posted: 21/07/2012 20:35:21

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 1 of 25