All forums > Introduce Yourself > Introducing Myself: Keeping a Promise
page 1 of 1

Introducing Myself: Keeping a Promise

DavidRBarr

first registered 01.08.12

last online 618 days ago

Hi everyone.

Am getting to grips slowly but surely with all of this and have been made feel welcome by several people which I really appreciate. Am just wondering what the best way to contribute and improve my writing?

Just wanted to say hi and explain why I am on here. I have been writing a book about my little sister Charlene and wanted to see how it can be improved and hope that one day it can be published. When she was deathly ill she asked me to write her story down and I have tried to as best I can. It has been useful and painful to write in equal measure as I remember everything, but I want to keep my promise to her in this. Any help, criticism or backing would be really appreciated more than I can say.

The book is called 'Journey Through the Valley of the Shadow' and the description is "A sick child is adopted into a family but wrestles with her identity. Deathly ill, she dreams of a school in Uganda..." - http://www.authonomy.com/books/46259/journey-through-the-valley-of-the-shadow-charlene-s-story-/

Thanks again for those who already welcomed me, love the idea of this site. Good to meet you all and God bless,

David

Posted: 04/08/2012 17:16:01

report abuse

Lakeshia Davis

first registered 02.07.12

last online 504 days ago

Hi everyone.

Am getting to grips slowly but surely with all of this and have been made feel welcome by several people which I really appreciate. Am just wondering what the best way to contribute and improve my writing?

Just wanted to say hi and explain why I am on here. I have been writing a book about my little sister Charlene and wanted to see how it can be improved and hope that one day it can be published. When she was deathly ill she asked me to write her story down and I have tried to as best I can. It has been useful and painful to write in equal measure as I remember everything, but I want to keep my promise to her in this. Any help, criticism or backing would be really appreciated more than I can say.

The book is called 'Journey Through the Valley of the Shadow' and the description is "A sick child is adopted into a family but wrestles with her identity. Deathly ill, she dreams of a school in Uganda..." - http://www.authonomy.com/books/46259/journey-through-the-valley-of-the-shadow-charlene-s-story-/

Thanks again for those who already welcomed me, love the idea of this site. Good to meet you all and God bless,

David <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

I love the pitch already. I am new to this site and I am also looking for some feedback. I welcome all comments and suggestions. I will take a look at your book and feel free to look at mines.

Posted: 06/08/2012 00:53:36

report abuse

Nick Goulding

first registered 31.03.11

last online 5 hours ago

Hi David,
Welcome to Authonomy. That must have been a difficult book to write, but it can be helpful too, getting the feelings out there. The best way to contribute and improve your writing is to read other books here and give your honest opinion and take on board the comments of others. You can exchange reads on specific genre threads. I have learned a lot by reading the books here and the critique given by others to these books, as well as my own. Once you have a full bookshelf and start making comments you gain a talent spotter ranking and you and your book are more likely to get noticed. Contributing to threads also helps but spamming is often frowned upon (and often associated with some rather average works). I hope you enjoy your time here.

Best wishes,
Nick
'Where She Lies'

Posted: 06/08/2012 11:37:55
Last Edit: 06/08/2012 14:31:13 by Nick Goulding

report abuse

Nick Goulding

last online 5 hours ago

"I hope you enjoy your time hear"

Here Here!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rqa7JT9xYvQ/T_yow0apFOI/AAAAAAAAGvY/1Q_KOOWMHsQ/s1600/jesus_419315815_32397g.jpg

Nick, this strategy sucks.

Good luck friending every newbie with a sincere welcome.

Pathetic. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

I'm sick of the negativity on these forums. Very sad to read this. Why do I bother?

Posted: 06/08/2012 14:34:28

report abuse

AudreyB

first registered 22.08.11

last online 20 days ago

You bother because you are a kind-hearted writer who enjoys welcoming the new folks. Whenever someone new posts an "Introduction" thread, I know your response will be one of the first seen my the new member.

I appreciate your kindness.

~AudreyB

Posted: 09/08/2012 15:43:50

report abuse

Searcher

first registered 02.05.12

last online 264 days ago

I'm sick of the negativity on these forums. Very sad to read this. Why do I bother? <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Nick, I appreciate knowing when I visit the introduction forum you are here greeting the new people. I get so busy & wrapped up in so many other things I forget to drop in. You, my friend, are faithful! Thank you for being there for everyone ... or rather here!

Jane

Posted: 10/08/2012 03:35:49

report abuse

Nick Goulding

last online 5 hours ago

Thank you so much, Audrey and Jane. It's great to see writers like yourselves supporting this site and its members.

Posted: 10/08/2012 10:32:16

report abuse

Steve Merrill

first registered 08.11.09

last online online

Using the old "being nice to people" trick, eh? Wink

Posted: 10/08/2012 23:57:13

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 1 of 1