All forums > On Writing > How tha h*ll did you start your first chapter
page 1 of 3

How tha h*ll did you start your first chapter

Milorossi

first registered 29.10.11

last online 19 hours ago

A must have changed 1000 times. One worst than the other.(All the bad critiques, are people who CAN't go on form the first..)
Afterwards, things flow.. from the 3rd onwards...

Anybody, have any inspirational suggestions, ON how to start the first chapter.
What to write in it.
Without being CHEAP and GIMMICKY, like mine..

Any suggestions.

Posted: 08/08/2012 14:09:17

report abuse

Cariad

first registered 03.06.10

last online 11 hours ago

A must have changed 1000 times. One worst than the other.(All the bad critiques, are people who CAN't go on form the first..)
Afterwards, things flow.. from the 3rd onwards...

Anybody, have any inspirational suggestions, ON how to start the first chapter.
What to write in it.
Without being CHEAP and GIMMICKY, like mine..

Any suggestions.

<nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Scrap it and start where people think it's ok. Often given as advice. If you feel something's missing that you had earlier, maybe find a way to feed it in later.

Posted: 08/08/2012 14:10:31

report abuse

Milorossi

first registered 29.10.11

last online 19 hours ago

How d'you come up with your first chapter?

Posted: 08/08/2012 15:34:11

report abuse

Cariad

first registered 03.06.10

last online 11 hours ago

How d'you come up with your first chapter? <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

It just wrote itself, although It's not the same now as originally. I changed it because when I'd finished, it didn't fit. I scrapped the original start and went in further on.

Posted: 08/08/2012 15:36:06

report abuse

JD Regan

first registered 03.04.11

last online 18 days ago

First and foremost I need a character avatar. My books tend to be written versions of the movies playing in my head and the character my actress. For me the character is actually the narrator since I merely write the actions I'm watching her take. So if I don't have an avatar for her, then I can't tell the story. In order for me to work out my book (which I never thought was going to happen) I just started writing. I deleted about 4 attempts before I fell onto my current first chapter. I found it hard because I didn't understand my character or really know what my story was about. Once I got the story (or at least a sort of idea of what I wanted to tell) and my character just appeared in my head, the first chapter wrote itself and I've not stopped yet.

Posted: 08/08/2012 15:45:16

report abuse

Harmanicus

first registered 23.07.12

last online 572 days ago

To be honest, whenever I come up against any sort of barrier in writing, I just take a sample of my favourite books (as disparate a grouping as I can get together), and compare them. In this case, it'd be how each of them opens - you can then think about what works well, and (more importantly) how it works well.

Which is not to say you should copy them (that is, any more than one is always copying when writing). But it's definitely worth a study.

Posted: 08/08/2012 15:47:07

report abuse

Jue Shaw

first registered 09.02.11

last online 8 hours ago

It depends on the story, Milo, and the 'feeling' or 'mood' you want to create for the reader. In actual fact, you can start it anywhere, the 'real' start, or right at the end or somewhere in the middle.

What I like to do is work out the whole story in my mind, for example, my own story was always going to be about a young boy and his environment, and the trouble he gets into before finally being jailed for a long time and classified as criminally insane. But within that, there would be a traumatic rape scene, some racial fights, drug deals, and some comical escapades that he and his friends get into. Therefore, I could actually have started at any one of those points for my chapter one, and then fed the rest in, either backwards or forwards. Also, I don't know how I will end it yet, with either a suicide or a murder, but I could have started with that.

I decided, for my story, it was best to start at the begining. Introducing the reader to my main characters in their day to day life. That way, I hoped that the reader would form an opinion about them before hearing about all the bad stuff that happens. This seems to have worked for me, and you need to think like a reader when deciding from which point you will begin. What would you like to hear about first, if you were reading your book.

Posted: 08/08/2012 16:00:58

report abuse

PenInHand

first registered 23.12.10

last online 9 days ago

My first chapter came naturally because, when I start a story, I don't have it plotted out already. I have ideas, but my entire plot and theme will be different once I reach the end. And then I went back and made it work.

Posted: 08/08/2012 17:38:28

report abuse

Glenn Muller

first registered 01.05.12

last online 32 days ago

You don't always know where the start really is. At least four chapters of TORQUE were opening chapters at one time or another,, but then it became necessary to have something that would set "those" chapters up and, essentially, I started writing preceding chapters until I finally wrote one that I realized was the opener - after that I began going forwards again Open-mouthed

Posted: 08/08/2012 19:18:32
Last Edit: 08/08/2012 19:20:22 by Glenn Muller

report abuse

ceejezoid

first registered 10.04.12

last online 9 hours ago

I've cut the original first two chapters. At this rate, my novel will go

"The End".

Posted: 08/08/2012 19:28:24

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 1 of 3