All forums > Recommend a Manuscript > Without Spam or Sucking up
page 1 of 84

Without Spam or Sucking up

Joshua Roebuck

first registered 03.07.12

last online 1 hour ago

++NEWSFLASH++ (edit) http://www.authonomy.com/books/45026/sea-of-jasmine/> Sea of Jasmine is floating upwards, at #37

If you want to boost your talent spotter rating #TSR, it's on the rise! Open-mouthed

It's still surely the third tallest tale in authonomy’s history. BUT, the authors, despite all their boundless energy, feel positively icky about spamming for backers. Sad They also feel a bit funny about home-made hosiery, but that's something else entirely.

(Before an argument ensues, let me say that I am merely echoing their personal opinions, which don't reflect in any way on those who spam. This thread is meant for support, not debate.) Smile

This is your chance to be a part of something *big*, something many of us have wanted to see happen: another authonomy success story. I reckon that SoJ can make it to the ED sodium-free and wearing only sandals on their feet, the wholefood, organic way, wafting the scent of herbs and spices on all who follow them! Tongue out

Just as their book is a revolutionary kind of fantasy, so should their rise be equally revolutionary! Suprised

All in support of this idea, step forward and be counted. (Beer and Sandwiches will be provided). Keep the Jasmine flag flying high!

Posted: 14/08/2012 01:47:53
Last Edit: 10/09/2012 13:59:44 by Joshua Roebuck

report abuse

Groaner

first registered 25.01.10

last online 22 mins ago

So, are you putting the "please read this book" here instead of in "messages" so it it won't look like spam?

(kidding, but still...) Wink

Posted: 14/08/2012 01:59:23
Last Edit: 15/08/2012 00:09:34 by Groaner

report abuse

Jack Cerro

first registered 31.05.11

last online 5 hours ago

It won't mean a thing in a 100 years.

Posted: 14/08/2012 02:19:48

report abuse

Racheal McGillivary

first registered 29.05.12

last online 135 days ago

This is something I can't bring myself to do either. Shelvis and I talked about this. We both are the type that want our book to make the desk ONLY IF it is truly loved. Well, those are my words, but similar views. Wink It's just a personal thing.

I have nothing against spammers and people who ask for support. I have backed about ten books just to help out, some of which I have never read. But, I want the people who back my book to have read it and loved it and want to see it succeed. Open-mouthed

Posted: 14/08/2012 02:29:26

report abuse

D.J.Milne

first registered 20.06.12

last online 10 hours ago

This is something I can't bring myself to do either. Shelvis and I talked about this. We both are the type that want our book to make the desk ONLY IF it is truly loved. Well, those are my words, but similar views. Wink It's just a personal thing.

I have nothing against spammers and people who ask for support. I have backed about ten books just to help out, some of which I have never read. But, I want the people who back my book to have read it and loved it and want to see it succeed. Open-mouthed <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Hi Racheal
Totally agree. I want people to read and comment, if they like it star it, if they love it shelve it. Out of the five books on my shelf only two of the writers back mine. Their books are good, that"s why i support them. I came on to Authonomy to see if my writing was perhaps good enough, not to get into a world of dillusion and back scratching there is enough of that elsewhere.

Posted: 14/08/2012 07:34:28

report abuse

Ted Cross

first registered 18.12.09

last online 17 hours ago

I have nothing against spammers and people who ask for support. I have backed about ten books just to help out, some of which I have never read. But, I want the people who back my book to have read it and loved it and want to see it succeed. Open-mouthed <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

I'm with you, too, which I suspect means I'll hover nearby but never quite make it.

Posted: 14/08/2012 07:50:53

report abuse

Tonia Marlowe

first registered 05.07.10

last online 12 mins ago

It's hard to back everyone who backs you when you have only 5 spaces. My WL is almost full and I don't turn shelves over very often. I tend to back books I would buy in a shop or at least for Kindle, but I would never back a book if I hadn't read several chapters at least. I don't think "helping out" is really helping anyone to improve their MS, rather it will give a false impression that the book is better than it perhaps is.

Posted: 14/08/2012 08:01:46
Last Edit: 14/08/2012 08:16:20 by Tonia Marlowe

report abuse

Richard Maitland

first registered 27.08.09

last online 11 hours ago

@ Racheal: "I have backed about ten books just to help out, some of which I have never read"

Then you're part of the problem. No better than a Sock. Yet you want readers to do what you don't do yourself:

Please --- BACK ON MERIT ONLY.

Posted: 14/08/2012 08:10:03

report abuse

Tonia Marlowe

first registered 05.07.10

last online 12 mins ago

What I said.

Posted: 14/08/2012 08:15:37

report abuse

Soulhaven

first registered 20.03.12

last online 56 days ago

With you on that one. I guess the next thing is though: How to get discovered in the first place?

Posted: 14/08/2012 08:16:51

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 1 of 84