All forums > Suggestions Box > Printing for Reading - A Suggestion
page 1 of 2

Printing for Reading - A Suggestion

Siobhán

first registered 20.10.08

last online 1713 days ago

Hi Rik,
I've seen a number of threads and questions within other threads on the subject of printing for reading.
While I haven't found a way to copy and paste (and don't need to) I have managed to print and so have many others. If I hadn't I would only have been able to read and give feedback on a handful of books.

What I would really love to see on Authonomy is an easy way to print with the author's name and copyright printed in a header and/or footer on each page.

Can't be that much involved in it technically and it would stop people finding workarounds.

Authors could choose to allow people to print their work for reading or not.

What do you think?

Siobhán

Posted: 11/11/2008 21:55:36

report abuse

M. Cid D'Angelo

first registered 14.10.08

last online 1032 days ago

Hi Rik,
I've seen a number of threads and questions within other threads on the subject of printing for reading.
While I haven't found a way to copy and paste (and don't need to) I have managed to print and so have many others. If I hadn't I would only have been able to read and give feedback on a handful of books.

What I would really love to see on Authonomy is an easy way to print with the author's name and copyright printed in a header and/or footer on each page.

Can't be that much involved in it technically and it would stop people finding workarounds.

Authors could choose to allow people to print their work for reading or not.

What do you think?

Siobhán <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

I wouldn't want anyone to be able to print my work out really, too easily.

Posted: 11/11/2008 22:18:35

report abuse

Siobhán

I wouldn't want anyone to be able to print my work out really, too easily. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Thing is - it's already very easy to do. I've printed out several chapters from many different books for reading and review. But currently, in the way I print, once you're past page 1 there is no reference to the author, title or any copyright.

So, if it could be done properly with copyright etc. that would be much better.

Posted: 11/11/2008 22:26:29

report abuse

Bob Pickup

first registered 08.09.08

last online 668 days ago

Thing is - it's already very easy to do. I've printed out several chapters from many different books for reading and review. But currently, in the way I print, once you're past page 1 there is no reference to the author, title or any copyright.

So, if it could be done properly with copyright etc. that would be much better. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

true and also if we could make sure that each author had to ok each print then all sides woulld be happy

Bob

Posted: 11/11/2008 22:29:11

report abuse

M. Cid D'Angelo

first registered 14.10.08

last online 1032 days ago

So, if it could be done properly with copyright etc. that would be much better. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

well, it shouldn't be too easy. Sure, there are workarounds, but I don't print anyone's.

Posted: 11/11/2008 22:30:26

report abuse

Siobhán

well, it shouldn't be too easy. Sure, there are workarounds, but I don't print anyone's. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

But it is very easy.
File-Print. That's it.
Lots of Authonomy users, myself included, just can't read any decent amount online.
Don't worry - anything I have printed has not got thrown in the recycling bin or tossed aside - all kept in a folder for future shredding.

Posted: 11/11/2008 22:34:13

report abuse

ChrisHollis

retired user

You have a point that it would be nice to have a "print this book" option, but I think it would make me take down a few chapters It is, after all, out there for consideration by agencies and publishers.

Posted: 12/11/2008 09:34:54

report abuse

Patty

first registered 19.09.08

last online 1061 days ago

You have a point that it would be nice to have a "print this book" option, but I think it would make me take down a few chapters It is, after all, out there for consideration by agencies and publishers. <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

You don't have you full book uploaded (I wish you did, but that's another matter). Neither do I.

I object to printing for the sake of waste-reduction. I only print something I want to keep. I'm notprinting anything I'll read once and then chuck out.

Posted: 12/11/2008 09:38:12

report abuse

Mockingbird

first registered 20.09.08

last online 769 days ago

And for readers too - some of whom have issues reading from computer screens for any legth of time. Also consider that many like to curl up by a cosy fire or tucked up in bed to partake of the ultimate future cult read. www.authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=1706">Django Zoon. The Straightener

They can print it out from my website if they want to, either directly or via the method here:

http://ricklennie.www.idnet.com/JOBO_POOKS/labyrinth/DjangoZoon/zoonkitchen.htm

Wink <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Thank you Jobo...... I shall be around to do some printing shortly...... I get a really nasty headache if I read too long directly from the screen......

Posted: 12/11/2008 13:54:03

report abuse

Siobhán

Just catching up on this thread … printing may well be one of the new features referred to in the Authonomy thread today, but just thought I’d add another few lines here in any case:

On re-cycling/waste-reduction? – wallynosox covered it nicely I think. I’d only add - do we sometimes overlook the damage a computer and computer screen might be doing to our eyes and the rest of us in our efforts to save paper?

In any case, it’s not just about the problems of reading online for hours– it’s more the sitting by the fire curled up with a good book phenomenon, except for me that reading opportunity is on the train. Paper is the only way I can do that.

Also as Jobo pointed out – this site is not just for publishers and agents – it’s for readers too - and for agents and publishers to see what readers think of this slush pile. So making it accessible to readers and getting their feedback is very important and part of the process of getting noticed.

On the copyright issue:

In response to Hannah’s comment – even without an official printing method – once it is possible to print from this site, which it clearly is, anyone pursuing a claim against HC in the current setup would most likely have just as strong a case.

Futher suggestion for protection against theft - there could be a terms and conditions document that you have to agree to before printing.

Also - printing could be on a chapter by chapter basis, so no there’s no easy one-click method to print an entire book.

These measures, in addition to author’s copyright in a header and/or footer, should be enough.

If someone really wants to steal your work from Authonomy, they can, and will, do it anyway.

And one final thought, while I’m rabbitting on…

I went to my brother’s 60th birthday celebration last month, where he performed a selection of his wonderful songs. He has been writing and performing music all his adult life, but has never had much real commercial or critical success. His greatest talent is song-writing, and it really struck me at that show that one of the main reasons he hasn’t had success is that he has always held on so tightly to everything he has created, never putting it out there, never letting it go. I put my novel up on Authonomy two days later.

Posted: 12/11/2008 18:59:24
Last Edit: 12/11/2008 19:17:49 by Siobhán

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 1 of 2