All forums > General Chat > Notice about dishonest identities
page 1 of 12

Notice about dishonest identities

Rachel Authonomy Administrator

site administrator

first registered 03.05.11

last online 2 days ago

As some of you are aware, a member on authonomy has recently been masquerading as the journalist and writer Kate Colquhoun. Having spoken to Kate and investigated this matter, we would like to make it absolutely clear that this member – Writer Jane – was not Kate. We’re not sure why anyone would opt to do this, and we would like to thank the members of authonomy who brought this to our attention.

Writer Jane has been banned from authonomy, action we will not hesitate to use against any member who breaks our guidelines or abuses the spirit of this wonderful creative community.

Scott spoke in person with Kate last night to apologise and clarify the situation. She has been very understanding about the whole thing and we would like to thank her for her patience. She did, in fact, sign on to authonomy under her own name to make it clear that she was not Writer Jane. Her account has now been closed but she remains active and well worth following on Twitter as @wearyhousewife.

It is always unfortunate when someone abuses the trust of this community but especially so when they attempt to besmirch the good name of an individual who does a great deal of work with unpublished authors. Kate is one of the tutors at the acclaimed Faber Academy, her Getting Started: Narrative Non-Fiction (http://www.faberacademy.co.uk/Public/CourseInstanceDetails.aspx?CourseInstanceID=72) course in April is an amazing opportunity to learn about the art of non-fiction from one of our country’s finest exponents of the craft. And yes, we are plugging it because we feel guilty but that doesn’t make what we say any less true. We feel terrible that such a fine writer has been embarrassed and inconvenienced by authonomy.

So, sorry Kate, and apologies also to any authonomy members who were duped by this individual.

Posted: 09/02/2012 09:31:05

report abuse

John Booth

first registered 25.03.09

last online 21 hours ago

Trolls of the 'Writer Jane' kind are sadly not uncommon on here.

Often they are writers who didn't receive the overwhelming praise they expected and become a little bitter and twisted as a result.

Something we users have learnt to live with

Posted: 09/02/2012 09:50:18

report abuse

Deborah Aldrich Farhi

first registered 17.10.08

last online 52 days ago

Hey, it was a stupid game. But it makes life more interesting at least, does it not? It's either that or arguing Religion or politics. I mean we can't just stick to talking about books and writing, that's like taking your work home with you.

Posted: 09/02/2012 10:03:45

report abuse

Richard Maitland

first registered 27.08.09

last online 24 mins ago

With age, generally, comes a useful degree of cynicism. I feel really bad for all those young hopefuls who were excited by the possibility that WJ might be the agent who steered them to glory.

Please, folks, remember that the InterWeb is a dangerous place. It affords protection to the evil and crazy. Trust no one. And if a thing looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Posted: 09/02/2012 10:23:25

report abuse

Milorossi

first registered 29.10.11

last online 59 mins ago

Well, it's funny that AUTHONOMY brought it up.
But Dante's hell had 7 or 9 rings, I forget cause I drank behind the woman's back.
The thing is, that in the last ring.
Dante put: the people who betrayed the people who trusted them.
So, in their ring of Hell, they suffered more than the murderers or rapists..

Posted: 10/02/2012 20:39:38

report abuse

Eric Laing

retired user

I've been masquerading as Eric Laing for years now...and no one here is the wiser!

Posted: 10/02/2012 20:41:49

report abuse

Lucia13

first registered 04.03.11

last online 691 days ago

We also have a Santa Claus on this site! I hope this matter is cleared up shortly as well.

Posted: 10/02/2012 20:45:23

report abuse

Cariad

first registered 03.06.10

last online 13 mins ago

I think a lot of people saw something fishy about this person early on. What can ya do eh?

Posted: 10/02/2012 20:46:22

report abuse

Deborah Aldrich Farhi

first registered 17.10.08

last online 52 days ago

I've been masquerading as Eric Laing for years now...and no one here is the wiser! <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

It's a good point. Name, avatar, personal description. How does anyone know? I definitely think Groaner is lying. He's not a pig at all, is he?

Posted: 10/02/2012 20:47:27

report abuse

Eric Laing

retired user

It's a good point. Name, avatar, personal description. How does anyone know? I definitely think Groaner is lying. He's not a pig at all, is he? <nolink>close quotes</nolink>

Yuppers. His is clearly the work of an aardvark.

Posted: 10/02/2012 21:08:56

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 1 of 12