All forums > General Chat > R.A. Publishing Now Accepting Submissions
page 1 of 10

R.A. Publishing Now Accepting Submissions

RedAdept

first registered 24.09.08

last online 360 days ago

Red Adept Publishing is now accepting submissions.

We publish all fiction genres (no erotica or middle-grade and below children's books - though Young Adult with crossover is fine).

You can read our Submission Guidelines here: http://redadeptpublishing.com/publishing-submission-guidelines/

Our FAQ page is here: http://redadeptpublishing.com/publishing-faq/

We are currently only accepting manuscripts from U.S. authors.

Some answers to questions posed later in this thread:

If a book is chosen for publishing, the author does NOT pay for editing.

If an author paid for editing, but accepts a publishing contract, their money is completely refunded.

We do NOT charge authors for any portion of the process.

What do we offer as a publisher?

Editing, proofreading, formatting, cover art, and publicity.

Yes, all free of charge. We are NOT a vanity press.

Yes, we are a new publisher. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Are the contracts industry standard?

No, they are not. Some differences:

We do NOT option future books like most publishers. We also do NOT add an automatic renewal clause. Many publishers have these two items in their contracts to "lock in" their authors and to keep the rights to books they publish if the books are doing well at the end of the contract. We have a different approach. We want authors to WANT to work with us on future books. If they don't, and wish to go indie for later books, we have no problem with that.

Like any publisher, we need to recoup our time and money. We have a set time period in the contract for that purpose. Once that time period is up, the rights revert back to the author.

Of course, if the author wishes to renew the contract, we are open to discussions at that time.

What type of marketing do you find works best?

From our research: Online social networking. Old-style publishers just don't seem to do enough of this.

Have you had any sucess yet with your authors?

As I stated earlier, we are new. We have two signed contracts, but the books are still in production. One is in content editing, and the other is in proofreading. Only time will tell if we are successful, but I have faith in my publicity department.

Do you find that you can get books into the shops, supermarkets etc or is it mainly on-line stores?

At this time, it will only be online stores. Small publishers have trouble getting books into brick-and-mortar shops, and new publishers need a catalogue first. We do plan on eventually getting to that point, but we need to get some books in our catalogue first.

If you only make money from the sales of the books (including your costs of print, advertising etc) what terms do you work with the author under, that is, what percentage does the author receive?

As with any publisher, we do not advertise our terms, as they can vary from book to book.

I will tell you that we did a lot of research prior to drafting our contract. That research included speaking with authors who have been with small publishers and/or the Big 6. Every author I've spoken with has stated that our royalty rates are far better than industry standard.

Do you give the author artistic licence over the cover art etc?

No. I'm sorry, but I know of no publisher that gives the author complete say-so over a cover. We work with a company to produce the best covers possible for our books.

We do, however, work with and listen to the author for concepts and in making the final decision. We want our authors to be proud of their books.

Prior to opening our publishing arm, we edited over 100 independently published books. Some of our favorites are here: http://redadeptselect.com/

Here is my editing portolio page: http://redadeptpublishing.com/lynn-odell/

Posted: 11/04/2012 14:51:05
Last Edit: 13/04/2012 21:15:22 by RedAdept

report abuse

LittleDevil

first registered 15.05.08

last online 2 days ago

What can Red Adept offer that an author can't do for themselves?

Posted: 11/04/2012 14:59:25

report abuse

LittleDevil

last online 2 days ago

How many books have you published so far?

Why do you feel the need to have a book on authonomy?

Does RA have editors working to perfect possible publications? Or is the author still responsible for all editing?

What would you say is so special about RA that the author would chose you over any other publisher or self publishing?

Posted: 11/04/2012 15:05:45

report abuse

lizjrnm

first registered 18.03.09

last online 8 hours ago

Do you offer an advance?

Posted: 11/04/2012 15:15:41

report abuse

Richard Maitland

first registered 27.08.09

last online 1 hour ago

Lynn O'Dell, who is apparently the owner of RAP, was simply a review blogger for two years, as far as I can see.

Posted: 11/04/2012 15:22:01

report abuse

Richard Maitland

first registered 27.08.09

last online 1 hour ago

From the FAQ:

Q. "If I pay for editing, will my book be considered for a publishing contract?"

A. "Yes."

Posted: 11/04/2012 15:25:52

report abuse

liberscriptus

first registered 09.02.12

last online 304 days ago

Do you publish print books or only ebooks?

Posted: 11/04/2012 15:27:17

report abuse

LittleDevil

last online 2 days ago

You charge for editing?:'(Embarrassed Confused

Posted: 11/04/2012 15:28:27

report abuse

LittleDevil

last online 2 days ago

Just another scam really.

I don't see anything an Indie can't do for themselves.

Posted: 11/04/2012 15:31:12

report abuse

La Marmonie

first registered 12.05.08

last online 80 days ago

My book needs editing.

I'm impressed with your staff.

Can I insist that the dog does my editing? ...the one which is also proof reader and publicist.

If not the cat can do it. The one which is one of your proof readers.

Also, what is the turn around time?

Posted: 11/04/2012 15:32:16

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 1 of 10