page 1 of 19

Who are you?

Casimir Greenfield

first registered 14.03.12

last online 5 hours ago

I'm all in favour of the nom de plume. Anyone that enjoys my broadcasts and stories for kids would probably not be as enthusiastic about reading my thrillers aloud before bedtime. So I have two names that I use. Many of you out there have also invented an interesting name, so what about your profile pic...

Why are so many of the authors on site shy about showing what they really look like? I've lost count of the cats and dogs and orangutans that grace the Authonomy profile pages. The black outline prior to uploading a mug shot I can understand, but why not let us see the face that launched a thousand or so words...

Your thoughts please...

Posted: 01/05/2012 12:54:34
Last Edit: 01/05/2012 14:19:39 by Casimir Greenfield

report abuse

Mindy Haig

first registered 22.03.12

last online 11 days ago

I put my real pic up, unfortunately, when one is typically the photographer, you don't end up in may of the photos! My daughter took this one of me and my son!
Mindy

Posted: 01/05/2012 13:07:30

report abuse

jet ramea

first registered 05.04.12

last online 371 days ago

validation. my name has no part in what i hope to accomplish.

Posted: 01/05/2012 13:10:06

report abuse

Casimir Greenfield

first registered 14.03.12

last online 5 hours ago

Hi Mindy - it's a great pic - it's real and we can see the person behind the words.

Now, I love my dog, but he has his own facebook page and I doubt he'd let me use his picture...

So, we're not worried abut the quality of the image here, it's the thought process behind it all I'm curious about.

Confused

Posted: 01/05/2012 13:13:51

report abuse

ceejezoid

first registered 10.04.12

last online 3 hours ago

<------------- thats me! Not my day to day expression, I hasten to add.

Posted: 01/05/2012 13:14:35

report abuse

Earth Countess Rose

first registered 22.03.11

last online 25 days ago

My avatar is the main location of my novel. I use it for that reason, coupled with the fact I hate any photograph of me, and tend to avoid being photographed in the first place.

The real me is easy to find, therefore knowing what I look like should be a deal breaker. The profile name, I should say, has been changed, to my "rank" in the Alliance of Worldbuilders... Wink

If I'm ever fortunate enough to get picked up and published, I will succumb to the author photo, but until then, I'll let people enjoy the location...Smile

Posted: 01/05/2012 13:44:53
Last Edit: 01/05/2012 13:51:05 by Earth Countess Rose

report abuse

Perdu Shoshanna

first registered 20.07.10

last online 30 days ago

http://www.librarything.com/author/einfeldcs (picture)

http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5357448.C_S_Einfeld (bio)

But, in RL, I'm a 6 ft tall bird. Open-mouthed

Posted: 01/05/2012 13:47:23

report abuse

Ted Cross

first registered 18.12.09

last online 22 mins ago

@Mindy -- Same here. I'm the photographer in the family, so there are very few decent shots of me. My avatar is one I liked mainly because of my son draped over my back.

Posted: 01/05/2012 13:50:52

report abuse

clare sweeney

first registered 09.07.09

last online 30 days ago

I'm me.
Then I had to change my name because my main character stole it (she had a legitimate reason).
But I'm still me.
I did masquerade as a bloke called Clarence once, to get material for a novel I never wrote. I didn't get material, I got a bloke up the road keen to actually meet me and share a pint. Whoops.
I stopped playing that ill informed game.

Posted: 01/05/2012 13:51:25

report abuse

LeonGower

retired user

A few years back I went on some forum with a crazy picture and fake name. It was a personal fear of the unknown, I thought the internet was a scary place full of dangerous people and if i stuck my personal details out there then "HACK!!!" Ouch, see how that word just jumps out at you? scares the death out of me ;P

Didn't take me long to decide that I should only ever be myself. Now i even think pen names are a needless mask, it reminds me of those people who walk around in a cape or stick letters after their name.

From,

Dr. Leon Gower PHD AB BTH Esq Tongue out

Posted: 01/05/2012 13:52:42

report abuse

To leave comments on this message board please Register or Login

page 1 of 19